Escape With 5 Spring Brews
The winter blues are fading and we’re finally ready to come out from a long, Netflix-filled hibernation. Along with lighter jackets, longer days, and sunnier getaways, we’re looking forward to a spring season filled with brighter, hoppier brews. Here are five of our favorites!
1. New Belgium Citradelic: This tangerine IPA is straight up liquid sunshine. Not only does it pour a bright orange gold color, but it also offers up flavors of hops and citrus peel for a balanced bitterness. Here comes the sun!
2. Union Craft Steady Eddie: The honey malt base of a wheat beer meets the light-bodied, lemony-herbal aromatics of an IPA in this stiff (7% ABV) brew. It is a delicious tribute to Orioles great Eddie Murray, the last major league baseball player to reach 500 home runs before steroids came on the scene.
3. Half Acre Daisy Cutter: One of the first beers brewed at Half Acre’s downtown Chicago brewery, this unique pale ale is dry but fruity, with notes of citrus, papaya, and mango. Thanks to its bitter but very drinkable flavor, it has become a Chi-town classic any time of year.
4. Bell’s Brewery Consecrator: Just because it’s warming up doesn’t mean you have to give up the malty sweetness of winter brews! Fermented with an old world yeast, this full-bodied Doppelbock is dark but not too heavy, and offers up hints of caramel and molasses for a silky smooth finish.
5. Victory Brewing Spring Session Saison: Per its name, this seasonal brew will swing you right into spring with every sip. Spiced with peppercorns, orange peel, and fresh lemon zest, it is bright but not overwhelming and, as Victory Brewing puts it, tastes like a “jazzy jolt of joy.” Count us in!